Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Snowy Days Give Way to Mystery Sewing

What a blustery, cold, snowy, week this has been.  With Christmas parties, gatherings, and events in full swing, I had taken a week of vacation this week from the hospital to prepare and rest.  Well...the snow changed those plans.
I had a great day on Saturday with a wonderful group of friends at my friend Elizabeth's house and her annual Bake Day.  Snow flurries and cold weather were the perfect opportunity to gather together and prepare some amazing Christmas goodies.  You'll find the recipes that I used for our bake day on my Pinterest under the board Bake Day.  We made everything from Gopher Balls (aka Peanut Butter Balls, Buckeyes, etc.), to Chex Mix, to Chocolate Dipped EVERYTHING.  So much goodness to share.



After arriving back home that evening, the snow began to fall in earnest and by morning we had a solid 9 inches of snow and it was still falling.  I was up early to take my friend Lisa to work and by the time we made the trek into town, another inch had fallen.  By day's end we had 11 inches of heavy, wet snow.  Needless to say, our church services including the choir Christmas Cantata were cancelled/postponed. 

With plenty of snow on the ground, and thankfully, power unlike the thousands of others in the county, I began to sew.  I began the day two weeks behind on Bonnie Hunter's Good Fortune Mystery Quilt, but progress was to be made.  If you haven't been following along with the mystery, I suggest you go check that out, over at Quiltville.  It's still not too late to join in the fun, even if you want to collect clues and sew later.


After cutting more than half of the pieces for Clue 2, I realized that they were all TOO SMALL 😩😩😩.  So, I commenced to cutting the correct sized pieces, and have destined those that are too small to my box of assorted sized H
alf Square Triangles for a project unknown.  I often save the Bonus Units that I gain from Flipped Corners, Snowballed units, ends of strips from Companion Angle Quarter Square Triangles, etc.  My preference is to go ahead and sew that extra seam so that I have a finished HST when I use one of the above methods, then place the unit in a box of assorted sizes of HSTs.  I plan to make these into a quilt at some point. 

Once I had the correct pieces cut, I began cutting for Clue 3.  I finished that Monday and began sewing Clues 2 and 3 on Tuesday.  I am glad to say that I have finished both clues, yahoo!!!!

Yesterday was supposed to be the Friendship Club Christmas luncheon at my house, but alas this snow has postponed that too.  I usually don't take the day before off, but this year I had decided to.  But, I guess I shouldn't have, because I'm not going to get it anyway.  Oh well!

Although I had taken a week vacation, I went in today and worked a 6-hour shift to help out.  Then, this afternoon was a trip to a memorial for a lady in my church who passed away last week.

Tomorrow is filled with an instructor's class at work and choir practice tomorrow night in preparation for the rescheduled Cantata.  Friday is my work Christmas gathering and will be lots of fun!

I hope you're finding time to quilt and work on some Christmas gifts.  Until next time, quilt on!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to take advantage of the snowy day. Good idea to keep those HST for a future unknown project. I think I will borrow your idea 😜

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to get some sewing done. I did the same. We ended up with about 13.5" of snow but our neighbor scraped our road (twice) and we were finally able to get out on our 4-wheeler to the jeep we had parked down at the highway. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. See you after the first!

    ReplyDelete