Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Quiltin' Tuesday

Hey ya'll, Tuesday for me brings sewing with the Tuesday Sewers at our local community center.  Our group which is part of the Cruso Friendship Club works to help those in need in our community.
 Today, we have been working to finish our quilt top for next year's raffle at the quilt show.  As much as I would love to show you pictures of the top in progress, I can't.  Our group has a special, "no show until finished" policy, but let me tell you the colors are gorgeous and I think all of you will be pleased.  This year's Cabin Weave and next year's to be named quilt have been quite challenging for our group.  Both patterns were picked merely on the picture of a quilt.  Last year's had no pattern, and I had to draft a pattern to make the quilt.  This year's had a pattern, but nobody bothered to read it first.  Both quilts are great, but have had some small piecing and some intricate piecing and placement.  Most of our group is older and some have a hard time with small pieces so the tops have been challenging, but a challenge can be fun and enough to show some of us that we've still got it, and others of us that we can actually do it!

As I mentioned in the last post, I am working on a quilt to be given to a coworker.  I'll post pictures soon, but this baby quilt has been an original design, one that I am thoroughly enjoying.  Once finished, I plan to make another and draft a pattern from it.  Once that's finished, I'll have the pattern available for you.

The Basement Quilt by Ann Hazelwood
(c) AQS Publishing
I've also been reading a series over the last couple of months from AQS.  The first in the "Colebridge Community" series by Ann Hazelwood is called The Basement Quilt.  The narrator of the series Anne, her mother, and aunts get together to quilt a quilt in their basement.  Anne, a floral whiz, owns her own flower shop, and we not only follow the quilt, but all of their lives. Throughout the book some interesting things keep happening in the basement.  The series has four additional books thus far, The Potting Shed Quilt, The Funeral Parlor Quilt, The Jane Austen Quilt Club, and The Ghostly Quilts on Main.  There is a sixth novel to be released in early January.

I'm currently on the fifth novel of the series, about halfway through it, and can't wait for the sixth.  A friend of mine was able to go to the AQS Show in Chattanooga a couple weeks ago and met the author, Ann Hazelwood there.  Ann was promoting the books as well as showing off some quilts featured in the series.  I highly recommend this series for a quick read and a great story-line that will draw you in with the first pages.

Well, my sewing machine as well as The Ghostly Quilts on Main are calling my name.  Until next time, quilt on!

-Levi

No comments:

Post a Comment