Friday, September 4, 2015

Goodbye Summer, Hello Fall

Hey ya'll.  Summer is coming to an end here in the mountains.  It's been almost four months since I last posted to you.  It's been one crazy summer.  Let me just tell ya.  It's hard to believe that so much has happened in the last few months.



The first of July gave a start to my first Quilting 101 class.  I have an awesome group of ladies joining with me in the quilting process to create for most, their first project.  I have a very diverse group of ladies ranging from high school age to retirement and everywhere in between.  Lou Anne Cogburn, a special friend, has also been there with us to help me out.  We started out with the basics of a machine and have worked our way through some basic quilt blocks to a project called "Basic Patchwork" that I designed just for Quilting 101.  We only have one more session of sewing left.  Our 7th session will be our day of reflection and food.  These ladies are doing a great job and many of them have really caught the quilt bug!

Our Friendship Club here in Cruso, of which I am secretary/treasurer, hosted our 26th Annual Quilt Show in August.  You can click to the left to see a slideshow on YouTube of the quilts.  We had an amazing time this year.  We had lots of great quilts, vendors, a silent auction, many many giveaways, demos, and much more!  I had a blast putting together our bed turning again this year.  Never heard of a bed turning?  Well let me key you in.  We take all of the antique quilts (30+ for us) and lay them one on top of the other on a bed.  I take the stories that are given with the quilts, many have some great family stories, and add facts about the quilt such as the date the quilt was made which can be figured from the fabrics in the quilt, etc, and some about the construction of the quilt and put all that together in one speech.  Then, several times during the show, we will go through the quilts on the bed, one by one, and tell their stories and carry on the tradition of quilting from years gone by.  This year, we had 12 quilts we talked about several from the late 1800s and early 1900s.  At the conclusion of our show, we gave away our Donation Quilt "Smoky Mountain Stars" which was based on the pattern by Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville.  A good friend,
Jackie Spencer of Clyde won this year's quilt!  Jackie happens to be a club member, and no we didn't rig the vote, but she is the first club member to ever win a quilt!  She actually won another of our raffles during the show.  (I don't know about you, but I think she needs to rub some of that luck off on me.)

Today, I worked on a Tumbler Tote bag.  I've been carrying my hand embroidery work around with me in an oversized Ziploc bag.  It was functional, but that's all.  I didn't like carrying it in a plastic Ziploc bag.  That just didn't cut it.  I had to go to the eye doctor earlier in the week, and I took the bag with me.  Today, I went to have the truck inspected and again carried that plastic bag.  It doesn't look right carrying a plastic Ziploc bag around everywhere.  I also bought a larger hoop this week for my embroidery, and the new hoop doesn't fit in the bag, so I had to carry it separate.  Well, when I got home this afternoon, I decided I needed a tote bag for my handwork.  I've been cutting Tumblers for Bonnie Hunter' Leader/Ender challenge, and I decided to use some of my blue and green stash, which I have lots of, and create a Tumbler Tote bag for my handwork.  I pulled out some strips of Blue and Green and set to work.  I didn't have a pattern, so I decided to just figure it out as I went.  I cut some 4" strips of the fabrics and then cut some Tumbler shapes with my Dresden Ruler.  I then laid them out and began to sew together some panels for the front and back.  I got those together and did some Stitch in the Ditch quilting with my Walking Foot.  Then, I made some side panels and a bottom and quilted those.  Then I put it all together and made a lining.  I did have to look up how to get the lining in the bag, but it went together almost flawlessly.  I made the lining about 1/4 to 1/2 in too small, but I made it fit!  I finished it just a few minutes ago.


Well, I think I've rambled enough for now.  Until next time, quilt on!

-Levi

No comments:

Post a Comment