Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Sewing Tuesday

Hey all!  Today was sewing day for our group at the Cruso Community Center.  Our group meets most Tuesdays to work on lots of projects.  We've made lots of items for our center of the years.  Each year we work on a Raffle Quilt that raises money for two scholarships for high school seniors in our community.  We've sent pillowcase dresses overseas, made receiving blankets for the local hospital, lap quilts for the sick and those in nursing homes, and are currently working on the Home of the Brave Project.  I talked about this project the other morning.  A couple of weeks ago, we sent off 7 finished quilts to be distributed.  We have 2 more finished and many more in the process.  I received word today, that 2 of the quilts we sent off a few weeks ago have already been sent out.

This is five of us that sew together in the Cruso Friendship Club.  We are holding up several of the HOB quilts we've made.  Left to right, myself, Claudine Miller, Mildred Pharr, Linda Hallatt, and Jackie Spencer.  Not pictured, Oveda Wheeler, Lou Anne Cogburn, Lola Ernesti, Nellie Revis, and Charlotte Selvidge.  

Some pics of our sewing work today.

 Our show and tell of the day.  A recent purchase by one of our members.  I believe she did well!

I've also worked today in the garden of one of our quilters whose husband is ill.  We worked to stake beans, put up the strings for the beans, and tilled up some of the weeds in the garden.  It is such a blessing to be able to help out friends.

As for my personal sewing today, I've not sewn much over the last few days, however I am working hard to get together a new quilt pattern.  For a hint, Google "Blackford's Beauty", and you'll see the block that I started with and have morphed into the quilt in progress.  I also purchased a table yesterday for my sewing room.  It's a small dining room table that I am working to make my sewing table.  I am working to cut a hole in the table and recess my machine so that it will be flush with the top and ease strain on my back and shoulders as well as make FMQ (free motion quilting) easier.  

I like the white legs, but the natural top doesn't fit my room well.  I may leave it, but I may re-stain it since it is real wood.  I will at least get the hole cut and my machine in place in the room first, then decide if I want to re-stain it.

Some of you have mentioned to me that you haven't been able to comment, because the Blog asked you to log in or sign up to comment.  I didn't realize that this was a default setting by Blogger.  I have set the comment setting so that anyone should be able to comment now.  Would love to hear from you.

Well, back to the drawing board, but at least I'm not starting over on something this time!  Until next time, quilt on!

-Levi

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy sewing with the group. No matter what we are sewing.

    ReplyDelete