Wednesday, June 11, 2014

What a Week

Wow, what a week this has been!  I've been quite busy all week long.  From working to Club meetings, I've not had any extra time.  It feels good to sit down and write for a minute or two.  Let me catch you up a little on what I've been doing.


Right now, I'm working on a project for my church.  When a friend and I visited "A Mountain Quiltfest" in Pigeon Forge, TN in March I spotted a gorgeous panel of fabric with different Bible verses and quotes on it.  I decided then, that my church doesn't have a quilt hanging anywhere during the year, so I must make a quilt for the church.  I purchased the panel and it has sat in the bag until a few days ago.  Well, I brought it out of the bag, cut it all up, and have the pieces on my design wall.  I've been studying the blocks, moving them around, and trying to figure out what pieced blocks I want to include to make the top.  I decided yesterday to use an acrylic template set I bought at Quiltfest for a Mariner's Compass block and make a block for the quilt.  I am also thinking that I will make some Flying Geese blocks to use as sashing borders in the quilt.  Overall it looks like the top is going to be around 48" square maybe a little larger.  Still not sure exactly how this is going to look and probably won't until the last seam is sewn, but I believe it is going to be great!

I'm also still working and thinking on the quilt I'm designing.  I'm calling it "Bombs Bursting in Air".  This will be a patriotic themed quilt using a variation on a traditional block.  I've sketched out parts of it and am currently gathering more red, white, and blue fabrics since I didn't have exactly enough in my stash.  Soon, I hope to be constructing blocks and writing the pattern so that I can share it with all of you.

I've also completely finished my table project that I started last Monday.  I showed you the progress in my last post, and the table was "finished" per say, but I decided once the table was in the room, that it just wasn't the right color, so I stained the top darker.  It looks amazing, and works so much better, but it is definitely taking some getting used to sewing at a lower level.  While the table looks better stained, I made one major mistake in staining it.  I decided to stain the table at 8:30 Friday night.  Let's just say, I slept in the living room Friday.  Note to self, next time, don't stain late at night in a room you plan on sleeping in.

Well, let's get back to work on the quilt project for the church and I may read a little in the second book in Marie Bostwick's series Cobbled Court Quilts "A Thread of Truth."  The first book was a great read, so I'm excited to see how the second book will be.  Until next time, quilt on!

-Levi

1 comment:

  1. Levi, have you read the Blog, Quilt Dad, very interesting, thought I would tell you about it....................Karen

    ReplyDelete