Monday, July 7, 2014

Still Quiltin'

Hey ya'll.  It's been a while since I've gotten to post, but I wanted you to know that I'm still here and still quilting.  My quilting time has been short these last few weeks.
As most of you know, I started a new job in April of this year and last month, we had a fire in the main electrical room of the hospital I work at.  Since then, they have been working hard to get us reopened but for the time I've been working at another hospital that's a forty-five minute commute.  That doesn't leave time in the mornings for me to sew.  Anyway, I've been working on a quilt for my church.  I started with a "Faith Panel" by Wing and a Prayer Designs for Timeless Treasures.
Of course, I cut up the panel and separated all the pieces.  I then hung them on my design wall and began to decide on what to put with the panel to make a wall hanging for my church.  These pieces hung on my design wall for almost two weeks before I finally decided what to do.  I began with a Mariner's Compass block.  I used a new technique and ruler set that I bought at A Mountain Quiltfest in Pigeon Forge, TN this spring to make the block.  This technique makes a "Folded Mariner's Compass" which was very easy to complete and made a wonderful block.  Once that block was finished I kept thinking and studying, studying and thinking about what I wanted to incorporate into this quilt.  I eventually added several different blocks including Flying Geese, Christian Cross, and Jacob's Ladder, plus a few more to make the top.  I stitched the last seam of the main top tonight.  
I am extremely pleased with the way this top has come together.  I've fiddled, fidgeted, adjust, and ripped until I came up with this design.  But, I'm not finished yet.  I still want to add a beige border from the background print, and a blue border onto the quilt top.  So far other than the panel, everything has been from my stash, however, I don't have enough blues that match left to make a border.  I want your opinion.  Should I go back to my LQS (local quilt shop) and get the 6 or so fabrics that I've used in the quilt top and make a piano key border for the quilt or should I find some yardage that is similar and add a solid border to the quilt?  Don't hold back now, let me know what you think.

I also wanted to take some time tonight to give you my review of a book series that I've been reading.  Several months ago, I began to read a book called A Single Thread by Marie Bostwick.  A Single Thread is the first in a series called "Cobbled Court Quilts" and follows Evelyn Dixon as she struggles with separation from her husband of many years and she travels from Texas to Connecticut.  She finds herself opening a Quilt Shop despite many saying it would never work.  A Single Thread was an amazing book, one that keeps you interested throughout.  Week before last, I was called to work at the local hospital and sit with a patient that require one-on-one care.  Well, I purchased book two of the series and I read the book in a day.  It was better than the first.  I encourage you to pick up a copy of A Single Thread as well as Book Two A Thread of Truth and immerse yourself in New Bern and the lives of Evelyn and all her friends.  You won't be sorry.

Well, it is getting late and my sewing machine is calling my name.  I'm not sure what I'll work on right now, but will probably work on a few projects I've got laid up.  Don't forget to leave a comment on which border you think I should use on my quilt.  Piano Key or Solid Blue.  Until next time, quilt on!

-Levi

No comments:

Post a Comment