Saturday, May 31, 2014

Gorgeous Day on the Lake Ended with Some Sewing

Today, I spent the day on Fontana Lake with our youth group from church.  We rode the pontoon around on the lake, swam, and had an awesome time.  I have to admit that this was my first time on a boat on a lake.  I've been to the lake a few times before, but have never been out on a lake.  I could easily get used to that!  While riding around, a few of us were talking about boathouses and we saw one for sale.  Would love to have a boathouse.  What would be better than being at the lake, without all of life's distractions, with a treadle machine quilting away!  A man can dream, right?


Been home a few hours, just enough time to finish the tote I've been working on.  I used the pattern for the "On the Go Tote" by Whirligig Designs.  I did make a few design changes to make it perfect for me.  The outside of the tote was supposed to be the same on both sides with a pocket and the straps sewn all the way up, however I wanted to be able to press on half of the tote, so I used an insulated batting in addition to the regular batting for a little extra padding and to make it easier to press on.  I also left off the pocket and added magnetic snaps so the strap didn't constantly fall down when I'm not pressing.  I also used magnetic snaps on the tabs to hold the sides together instead of velcro, just because I'm not the biggest velcro fan around.  Overall, I'm very happy with my tote bag and can't wait for the next retreat or quilting outing so that I can put the tote to use!
Outside of tote.


Closeup of yo-yo I used to cover the metal snap on the strap of the tote.

Other side of tote with pocket.

Inside of tote.  See all those large pockets.  Perfect for rulers, mats, all your tools, and sew much more!

Outside of tote folded flat.  Left side perfect for pressing.

Now that I'm finished with this project, its onto the next one.  I'm juggling which project I want to start, because I have so many floating around my sewing room and in my head (which is a scary place most of the time.)  I am working on a design of my own, which I hope to be able to share with you soon!

Well, time to work on something else before my bed calls.  Until next time, quilt on!

-Levi

No comments:

Post a Comment