Thursday, May 29, 2014

Early Morning Stitches

Good morning everyone!  I'm up early to get ready for another day at work, however I've managed to sneak in a few minutes for some hand stitching on the tote I'm working on.  All I have left is hand stitching the binding down.  I'm about halfway finished with it.  This binding is a bit slow going though.  With rigid foam board forming the center of the bag, there's not much give to the edges so it takes some extra tugging and work to work in the stitches next to the foam.  While this may be my only quilting time I get today, I'm so thankful I am able to spend even five minutes today working on a project.  It keeps me going.


I did want to share a favorite tool of mine today.  We all have our favorite pair of scissors, right?  You know, those sewing scissors that are either locked up with a padlock to the rest of the family or are so far out of reach that your kids or grandchildren could never get to them.  A little over a year ago, I was introduced to the Karen Kay Buckley scissors.  I have her 7-1/2" scissors.  They also come in a medium 6", small 4", and a curved applique scissor.  These scissors have a true advantage to them.  One, I don't have tiny hands and I'm left handed.  These scissors have two large loops for handles making them perfect for either hand and large hands.  Two, they are very sharp pointed so that even the large pair works great for intricate cutting.  Three, they are serrated which keeps the fabric from slipping as you cut.  The last advantage is really awesome, however some of you may cringe when I tell you this.  I use the same scissors for fabric and paper.  Yes, I've broken the old adage that paper will always dull your fabric scissors and is a big no no, but hear me out.  The serration on the blades keeps them sharp even through paper and I was given the advice to go ahead and try them on paper by a quilter teaching paper piecing.  I've had the same pair for almost a year and a half and they're still as sharp as new, (but don't think I'm telling the family they can cut whatever they want with them.)  If you want more on these scissors, visit www.karenkaybuckley.com.

Well, the alarm clock is again reminding me that I need to finish getting ready for work.  Just wanted to share a few thoughts with you this morning.  Until next time, keep quilting!

-Levi

No comments:

Post a Comment