Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Saint Patrick's Day from TN, Quiltfest Day 1

Hey ya'll and Happy Saint Patrick's Day.  I've got my green on, how bout you?  What an awesome day it has been here in Tennessee.  Warm weather, great friends, and Quiltfest!

Jackie and I got on our way to the LeConte Center and got in and settled in our first class "Simplified Double Wedding Ring" in plenty of time.  The class was a blast.  Patti Carey, VP of Public Relations for Northcott Fabrics, designed this pattern and method of constructing the traditional Double Wedding Ring. 

Of course, I was the only male student in the class, but I wasn't the only one who sewed barefooted.  There are plenty more of us like that out there!  The Simplified Double Wedding Ring is a great pattern and a really good way to test out Double Wedding Ring if you're nervous about it.

Look at those curved seams!  By clipping a notch
at certain points, these pieces needed very few pins!
Four melon and arc units of my first
ever Double Wedding Ring unit.


A collaborative quilt effort.  All of our
blocks coming together!


A captive audience.  17 in this class
working steadily at their Double Wedding
Rings.




My four blocks finished!  Yay!
Now to make a full size in other colors.

  On our lunch break we took advantage of the open doors to the Exhibit Hall to venture to the Heritage Challenge Section.  As you see, I may not be bringing a ribbon home with my quilt, but it looks awesome hanging in the show.  This is the last year Pigeon Forge is having the Mountain Heritage Challenge Competition and I'm so glad I was able to participate, ribbon or not.  My favorite part was that it is completely one-of-a-kind.  There isn't another church in the category!
 
Well folks, class is over.  We've made it back to Jackie's with Chinese take out on the table.  Can't wait for the show to officially open tomorrow and to see more great friends, Lou Anne, Georganna, and Ernestie!  You don't want to miss this!
 
Until next time, quilt on!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment