Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Grand Illusions, Competitions, and More

Hey ya'll!  It's been a crazy busy few weeks since I last posted, but I've gotten lots accomplished.  Last Wednesday, I sent my completed quilt to the Mountain Quiltfest in Pigeon Forge, TN.  "God's Meeting Place" has officially been entered into the competition and I'm sharing pics today.  If you haven't been following me long, let me catch you up.  This quilt is entitled "God's Meeting Place".  It is an original design from a painting of the first home of my church, East Fork Baptist in Cruso.  This quilt was created for the Mountain Heritage Challenge at A Mountain Quiltfest in Pigeon Forge, TN in March.  The show is a month away!






I've also been working on finishing the top to Bonnie Hunter's Grand Illusion Mystery Quilt.  I am excited to say that it is finished as well!  The Grand Illusion Mystery was an amazing experience and a blast to make.  I have told many that if I had seen the completed quilt before I started I would never have made this quilt, but it has been a ball of fun and I am so happy I participated.  My quilt finished 96"x96" which is larger than Bonnie's, but is good for me.  Now it's on to quilting it.
 On the floor.
 Folded over, I don't have enough room!

 Four patch in the corner.
Borders, yay!

I've also been working and have made new curtains for the studio, bed skirts, new rugs, pillow cases, and much more!  These cold, snowy, icy, dreary days have made me quite productive.  I'm also enjoying a new Smart TV.  YouTube and Bonnie Hunter's Quilt Cam on a 32" TV are awesome!  

I'm also studying up on some appraisal courses and books.  I love the history and experience of vintage quilts, and understand the value behind quilts old and new.  For that reason, I am working toward being a quilt appraiser.  There are many steps to the process, and I'm well on my way to appraising.  Appraising quilts isn't just for a collector.  Do you have any quilts from your grandmother or others in your family?  How about some you picked up at the antique store?  Maybe you've got some newer quilts that mean a lot to you.  While it can't replace the item lost, Homeowner's insurances will replace quilts at appraised value if you have a certified appraisal done on them.  Otherwise, you may only get as much as $30 per quilt.  It's also nice to have a quilt appraised so that your loved ones know the value and they may think twice before donating them to Goodwill or wrapping furniture in them before they move.  Hopefully in the next few months, I will begin to give some appraisal advice and help to you.  I won't be certified for a while, but appraisals are always helpful!  Stay tuned.

Well, I hear the dryer buzzing, the washer has stopped, the sewing machine is yelling, and there's so much to be done.  Until next time, quilt on!

No comments:

Post a Comment