Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Snow Means Sew Day

Second Bargello, almost all the same colors.

My first Bargello.
I love snow days simply because they mean sew days!  I've been busy today working on several WIP (Works in Progress).  Last night after my post, I set out to finish piecing a second "My Lil' Bargello" top.  The one pictured was my first Bargello.  When I made this one several years ago, the pattern called for fat eighths.  I purchased fat quarters which was enough for 2 quilts.  I had done almost everything shy of putting the final top together, so I pulled that project out of the box and finished it.  Now it's ready for quilting.  I also demonstrated this pattern at our quilt show in 2013 and never finished putting it together so that is on my wall now.  I also have enough fabric for 2 in that colorway so surprise everyone knows what they're getting for Christmas (just kidding).

Colorway #2, coming together quickly.














Lots more fabric!





I've also finished hand-stitching the binding down on a baby quilt started many years ago by my mother.  She is giving this as a gift to a friend who recently had a baby.  Working on these Bargello patterns has my brain in overdrive for Bargello quilts.  I've had several friends share the same picture of a Pink Ribbon Bargello quilt on my Facebook wall over the last few days.  Well, I took the hint and ordered the pattern today.  You can find the pattern here.  This comes from Erica's Craft and Sewing Center in South Bend, IN.  I'm excited to start this Bargello.  I plan to do two of these.  One will be donated to Relay for Life and I plan to do one in teal blues in memory of my grandmother who passed away in December 2013 only seven days after being diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer.





I'm also working to further organize my creative mess and get my printed patterns all into books sorted by style or some other yet undetermined method.  I've purchased the notebooks and dividers, so hey I'm halfway there.










I also had to share what was for dinner tonight.  I'm originally from North Carolina, but until the last year or so I have never liked grits.  I know, I can't be southern and not like grits, but butter and sugar in instant grits (which was all I knew growing up) is just plain gross.  I however, have become quite the fan of shrimp and grits, so tonight I decided to try them at home.  I Googled "Shrimp and Grits" and used a recipe from Bobby Flay of the Food Network.  I of course, tweaked them just a bit for me, and let me tell you they were sooo good!  Despite the snow, we had a neighbor over for supper and I shared my shrimp and grits with both my parents and our neighbor Judy, none of which had ever had them.  Everyone liked them except my father, which is no surprise to anyone.  If it's not beans and potatoes, forget it with him.

Okay, my sewing machine is screaming for a few more stitches before bed.  The hospital calleth my name for tomorrow, however with the forecasted temps of negatives in the morning, I really don't wanna go, but I must.  Until next time, quilt on!

No comments:

Post a Comment